I was first introduced to this enticing appetizer or dessert during a lunch outing with my girlfriends at a Chinese restaurant. Honestly, I am not a person with sweet tooth so I was hesitant to try. But since the gals strongly recommended the dish, I relented. Boy, I was instantly captivated by the " beauty " of this snack; it was love at first bite for me! It was yummilicious!
Eat it with or without Roasted Sesame Seeds, hear the crunch as you bite into these tasty Yam Fries! Be warned! These Candied Yam Fries are highly addictive!
2 tsp Roasted Sesame Seeds ( optional )
8 tbsp White Sugar
1 tbsp Maltose Syrup
4 tsp Corn Flour or Plain Flour
2 tsp Cooking Oil
Oil for Deep Frying
- Grease serving plate with olive oil to prevent yam from sticking onto plate.
- Remove yam skin. Wash and cut into thick strips. Drain well, dust with flour and remove excess.
- Heat oil and deep fry yam sticks, turning them occasionally. I had them done in 2 batches. Insert toothpick into yam to test if it is soft. Drain and set aside.
- Remove oil or you can use a separate pan or wok. Heat 2 tsp of cooking oil and melt sugar, stirring continuously using low heat.
- Add maltose syrup when sugar has liquefied. Stir thoroughly.
- Throw in yam sticks and mix well. Turn off fire and transfer them to plate. You can add roasted sesame seeds at this point if you like. Serve your Yummy Crystallized Yam Sticks ( 麦芽糖拔丝芋头 ) with a bowl of ice water!
* Tip: Make sure you separate the yam sticks before they cool down. I made a terrible mistake by taking food shots after transferring the yam sticks onto a serving plate instead of separating them first. By the time I finished my photo shoot, the temperature of the yam sticks have already dropped and they stuck together like superglue. Lol! Well, hope you will enjoy this yummy snack as much, and have fun experimenting, sunshine!
Like what you see? Get Beauty, Dining, Recipes, Travel, Health and Wellness reviews, plus Attractive Giveaways right into your mailbox! Subscribe to Luxury Haven by Email and you will never miss a post again!