Fish maw is extremely popular during the Chinese New Year with the good ones going at sky-high prices. That being said, prices vary widely depending on the type of fish. Personally, I like to go for the thicker dried fish maws as they give a better mouth-feel.
Bird's Nests ( 燕窝 ) are best known to give beautiful skin, but if you can't afford the luxurious bird's nest, consider the Snow Fungus ( 银耳 ) as a more economical alternative. Combining two of the best collagen ingredients - Fish Maw and Snow Fungus, this awesome Chinese beauty soup not only works to improve your health but also your skin complexion.
( Serves 10 )
200g Fish Maw
50g Snow Fungus
100g Flower Mushrooms
500g Chicken Feet
3 litres of Water
1 tbsp Salt ( adjust according to preference )
½ tsp Pepper
1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine / Shaoxing Hua Tiao Wine ( 紹興花雕酒 )
- Soak fish maw in hot water till soft to get rid of the fishy smell and oil. Drain and repeat the step till you have gotten rid of all the oil. Squeeze out excess water, and cut into thick rings.
- Soak fungus in water till soft. Discard base and cut into smaller pieces.
- Soak mushrooms in hot water till soft. Cut of stems and dice or slice.
- Wash the chicken feet and cut off their nails. Blanch with boiling water. Discard and bring the pot of water to boil with the chicken feet, mushrooms and snow fungus. Cover and simmer for about 3 hours.
- Add fish maw and continue to simmer for another hour. You can continue to cook the soup if you have time for a richer taste.
- Add seasonings and serve your Stone Pot Fish Maw Soup with Snow Fungus ( 石锅银耳鱼鳔汤 ) piping hot!
Like what you see? Subscribe to Luxury Haven by Email and you will never miss a post again!