During the CNY Reunion Dinner, a traditional salad dish popular in Singapore and Malaysia called Yu Sheng or Prosperity Toss ( 捞鱼生 ) symbolising good luck is served. Since the Lunar New Year is also known as the Chinese Spring Festival ( 中国春节 ), I decided to make a Yu Sheng with the Spring ( 春 ) character, representing the joyous season.
80g Shredded Carrots
150g White Radish
20g Green Pickled Nutmeg
20g Red Pickled Ginger
20g Preserved Sweet Onions
10g Pok Chui Biscuits
10g Keropok / Prawn Crackers ( optional )
5 tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds
5 tbsp Chopped Peanuts
Pinch of Grounded Black Pepper ( put inside red packet )
4 tbsp Sesame Oil
3 tablespoon Lime Juice
2 tbsp Plum Sauce
- Arrange carrots to form the " Spring " ( 春 ) character on a serving plate.
- Once you are happy with your character, place radish neatly as the base. Alternatively, you may also start off by putting the radish first as the base, then arrange the carrots on top to form the character if you find it easier.
- Next, sprinkle peanuts and sesame seeds around the radish. I am using each of the ingredient to form half the semi-circle.
- Now you can start to place the pickles and jellyfish on one side of the circle.
- Arrange the crackers to finish off the Yu Sheng. Well, I had some coloourful prawns crackers so I added them too.
Chinese New Year Lo Hei: Smoked Salmon Yu Sheng with Jellyfish!
Well, I will be having a secondary schoolmates gathering next week and I am still in the prowl for my next Yu Sheng design. Mmm........ what shall I make next? Will you be having any Lo Hei sessions?