Hubby and I love eating Bitter Gourd aka Bitter Melon! That being said, I only eat them if they are well-cooked and not too raw as I am not too fond of the bitter taste. Hence, I enjoy cooking my own since I can control the texture and level of bitterness according to our preference. This time, to add a little dramatic flair to my usual steamed bitter gourd with meat, I made a pretty boat and stuffed with minced pork and wolfberries.
PurelyFresh, the Singapore online grocery store, for some time now. One of the reasons why I enjoy shopping with them is that my meat, seafood and vegetables are always delivered nice and fresh. My family is so blessed with all the fresh ingredients delivered right to our doorstep, and the delivery men are always so helpful and friendly. Look at the mouth-watering 3 Dishes 1 Soup meal ( 三菜一汤 ) that I had whipped up for my family of three some time ago using PurelyFresh's fresh ingredients:
- Papaya Pork Rib Soup ( 木瓜排骨湯 )
- Pan-Fried Teriyaki Cod Fish ( 日式香煎鳕鱼 )
- Scrumptious Hotplate Tofu with Prawns ( 铁板豆腐虾 )
- Stuffed Bitter Gourd Boat with Minced Pork ( 肉碎苦瓜船 )
½ Large Bitter Gourd
250g Minced Pork or Chicken
1 tbsp Wolfberries
2 tbsp Chicken Broth
Marinade for Meat:
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Chinese Cooking Wine / Shaoxing Wine ( 紹興花雕酒 )
½ tsp Minced Ginger
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Soy Sauce
½ tsp Corn Flour
½ tsp Brown Bean Paste
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Chop off both ends of bitter gourd and remove skin. Cut the melon into half, and scrape out the seeds using a spoon. Soak bitter gourd in salt water for about an hour to get rid of bitterness.
- Marinate meat for about 30 minutes. Soak wolfberries in water till soft. Keep some for presentation, and mix the rest of wolfberries with meat.
- *Note: Stuff the meat gently and loosely into the bitter gourd boat or your meat will turn out too hard when cooked. Place onto serving plate, and top with more wolfberries if you like. Drizzle broth on it and wrap it loosely with cling wrap. Alternatively, if you prefer your bitter gourd to be soft and mushy, you may like to steam the melon first until it is half-cooked, then stuff it with meat and continue to steam.
- I used microwave and put it on auto steam mode. If you don't have a microwave, steam the boat till soft or for about 15 - 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the texture of meat. If toothpick comes out clean without any traces of raw meat stuck onto it, the dish is ready.
- I hope you will enjoy this Stuffed Bitter Gourd Boat with Minced Pork ( 肉碎苦瓜船 ) as much as we did.
Here's what to do with the other half of the Bittergourd:
* This is a sponsored post by PurelyFresh. The author only recommends products or services she uses personally which she believes to be beneficial for her readers. Views and opinions expressed in this blog are purely by the author.