Female hairy crabs mature faster and are eaten in the beginning of the season. They also tend to be smaller and the roe is firmer. The milt in male crabs is rich, creamy and sticky in contrast.
- 6 Pieces of 200g LIVE Male Hairy Crabs
- Perilla Leaves
- 2 Meat Pickers
- 2 Sachets of Ginger Tea
- A Bottle of Premium Hairy Crab Vinegar
- Pamphlet which provides information on how to prepare the crabs
I was really excited as this is only the second time I am cooking hairy crabs at home; I usually take them in Chinese restaurants. Although I detest household chores, somehow I found joy in scrubbing these hairy creatures knowing that they would be on the table for dinner, all nicely cleaned.
- Do not untie the crab.
- Always steam the crabs belly side up.
- Timing - Approx. 16 minutes for crabs less than 200g, and 18 – 20 minutes for those over 200g. Increase steaming time by 2 minutes when there are more than 4 crabs.
- Make sure you remove the inedible parts - heart, intestine, stomach, gills / lungs.
- According to TCM, it is not advisable to be consume with other "cold" food such pears and ice-creams. It should never be eaten with persimmon as it is thought to be a poisonous combination.
- Pregnant woman MUST NOT consume Hairy Crabs; it is not healthy for the baby.
For the non-Chinese, Hairy Crabs are considered “ yin ” food with cooling properties which may lead to dizziness etc. Hence, the leaves are used for steaming with the crabs to disperse the yin. Sipping freshly prepared hot ginger tea or Chinese yellow wine after the meal is another method to counteract the excess yin.
Tips: Never Eat Dead Crab!
- Use your finger to gentle tap the eyes of the crab. If there is some response, the crab is alive.
- Straighten the “Finger Tips” of the crab. If it retracts back into its original position, the crab is alive.
- Submerge crab into water and lift it up. If there is bubble seen, the crab is alive.
- If there is no reaction from the Hairy crab after above methods, release the crab to check if it is still moving. If the crab does not move, refrain from eating.
Hairy Crabs At Home, I love it that it comes in a package with all the necessary ingredients like Perilla Leaves for your cooking, Premium Vinegar for dipping, Meat Pickers, Ginger Tea, plus an Informative Guide.
With a vast selection of packages for consumers to mix and match, starting from SGD 108 for a Mini Package of 2 Pieces of 200g Male Hairy Crabs + 2 Pieces of 120g Female Hairy Crabs, right up to their Gold Package at SGD 198, it is definitely worth rounding up your family members and friends for a crabby feast! Be sure to check out their latest promotion for the best deal!
Watch this video to learn more about how to eat Hairy Crabs. Be warned! Hairy Crabs can be very addictive!
* This is a sponsored post by Hairy Crabs At Home. The author only recommends products or services she uses personally which she believes to be beneficial for her readers. Views and opinions expressed in this blog are purely by the author.
** I will be travelling around Eastern Europe for two weeks, but I have scheduled some posts during my absence for your reading pleasure. Thanks so much for coming by Luxury Haven and sharing with us your thoughts! I shall pop by your blog if time permits or will resume my blog hopping when I return. xoxo