Sadly, many do not take a liking to this melon due to its bitter taste. My teenage son is one example. In order to make him eat bitter gourd, I have tried different ways to disguise the bitterness, and one of the methods is to slice the melon very thinly and add to his favourite egg-drop soup.
Bitter Gourd from #PurelyFresh, and I am using only one melon to make 3 dishes on different days. The egg-drop soup was using a leftover bitter gourd from another dish I had made. The Stuffed Bitter Gourd Boat with Minced Meat ( 肉碎苦瓜船 ) required only half the melon as there are only three of us in the family.
Bitter Melon Scrambled Eggs with Chinese Sausage ( 苦瓜腊肠炒蛋 ). That's pretty cool, right? One bitter melon to make 3 dishes? I will be sharing the other two recipes later, so let's just start with this simple soup first, shall we?
¼ Bitter gourd
1.5 lit Chicken stock
1 Egg ( beaten )
1 tsp Sesame Oil
½ tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
- Rinse bitter gourd and remove skin. Use a spoon to scrap out the insides of the melon.
- Slice thinly. Soak in salt water for about 30 minutes to reduce the bitterness (optional).
- Add melon into boiling stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add seasoning and turn off fire. Add beaten egg and stir.
- Serve your Healthy Bitter Gourd Egg-Drop Soup ( 苦瓜蛋花汤 ) hot.