1 medium Chicken
2 tbsp Chrysanthemum flowers
6 Red dates
2 small Snow fungus
1.7 litres Water
3-4 tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
- Soak Chinese herbs in water till soft.
- Discard base from snow fungus when soft and set aside.
- Remove unwanted chicken parts like neck, innards and fats. Separate chicken feet and cut off nails.
- Blanch chicken and feet in boiling water. Drain. Boil water in Thermos Shuttle Chef® inner pot and cook chicken and feet for about 5 mins. Add dates and fungus and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add chrysanthemum, cover pot and turn off heat.
- Transfer to outer pot and let it brew for about 2 hrs.
- Heat up inner pot just before serving and add seasonings, and your Golden Chrysanthemum Chicken ( 帝皇菊花貴鸡 ) is ready to be on the table.
Well, I found it rather amusing as I have taken this combination for years and I am still in the pink of health. I have also served this dish to family and friends and they are still alive with no food poisoning issues arising from eating this combination.
Beijing Review on these "Deadly Combos". As you can see from the excerpt, many experiments were conducted and they found no evidence to support the food poisoning rumor.
Here is another excerpt by Fan Zhihong, a nutritionist at China Agriculture University, taking the same stance. "Rumor has it that eating mutton and water melon or chicken and chrysanthemum will lead to poisoning. But these foods are often eaten together and no one suffers."
"In everyday life, some foods may cause stomachache or itchy skin. But this is mainly due to eating spoiled ingredients or cooking in unhygienic conditions," said Zhang Chunyan, Director of the Chinese Medicine Department at Shanghai Eastern Hospital. The doctor said she has never heard of a death caused by ill-matched food during her entire career.
I hope that sharing the above info has solved the food poisoning " myth ", and that you guys can now eat in peace although I have to say that we take risk in whatever we do or eat, don't we? With this, I wish all readers good health and happiness!
Yummy Succulent Shellfish Soup loaded with colourful vegetables!!