Cute Angry Birds Inari Age Bento that I had made recently, I bought extra tobiko for the purpose of my experiment.
(Makes 6 fishes)
15 medium Prawns
1 small Fish fillet
12 Green Peas
1 - 2 tbsp Tobiko
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
½ tsp minced Ginger
1 tbsp Egg-white
Sesame oil for greasing
- Remove prawns shells and devein. Keep the shells of the tails.
- Rinse prawns and fish fillet. Chop them up or blend them into a paste. I prefer to chop them as I like to have some bite-size texture.
- Add seasonings, beaten egg-white and tobiko to seafood paste. Mix well.
- Use a Chinese soup spoon to form the shape of the fishes. Grease the spoon each time before you mould the shapes so that the fishes will slide out easily. I've chosen seasame oil to grease, adding fragrance to the dish. Add green peas to form the eyes.
- Slide the fishes gently onto a plate, and insert the prawn tails. Reshape if necessary.
- Cover with cling wrap and put to auto microwave steaming mode for fish, or steam till prawns turn pink. Enjoy your Adorable Steamed Prawn Paste Golden Carp with Tobiko, something to tempt the fussy kids too!
Morale of the story....... never give up! Practice makes perfect, even if it's just once a year! Hahaha! Do you have any failed cooking/baking experiments? How did you rescue your dish?