Resorts World Sentosa invited me for a media workshop to have a hands-on experience on the exquisite art of crafting handmade flaky crust mooncakes, I just couldn’t say no.
500g Sweet Potatoes
1,200g Narcissus Flour (水仙面粉)
250g Crow Flour (高筋面粉)
500g Dough Fat
100g of Sugar
Making Potato Paste:
- Peel, cut & wash the sweet potatoes.
- Steam the potatoes for 15 mins until soft.
- Blend the sweet potatoes until mashed.
- Add 10ml of oil & 100g of sugar into wok. Simmer & cook the mashed potatoes until thick & leave to cool.
Making Flaky Skin:
- In a mixing bowl, add Narcissus flour, Crow flour, water, & knead into dough. When consistency is thick, add dough fat. Chill dough for about 20 mins. This is good for 10 portions.
- Flatten dough & cut into 2 equal sheets before stacking them up into 2 layers.
- Repeat the step & stack into 4 layers. *Remember to sprinkle some flour on the table top & dough for smooth rolling.
- Repeat again, cut into 3 equal sheets this time & stack into 6 layers. (3 steps in total). The bottom pix was what the Chef's assistant had prepared in advanced & took out from the refrigerator.
- Finally, chop off the ends & cut into dough sheets. Make sure your cleaver is slanted at an angle when slicing. Can you see the lines on the dough? The different types of flour used & layering of dough are crucial to have the elasticity so that the crust will turn out nicely.
- Roll the potato paste into a ball (about 40g). You can also try combining the purple & golden #SweetPotato like me. Using the roller pin, flatten the slices into 4cm x 4cm sizes.
- Wrap the paste with the dough sheet by folding into half & then sealing the sides. Now, this is the toughest part. You’ll have to put the excess dough between the thumb & index finger. Pinch it while pushing & folding it at the same time. Keep turning while in action until the excess dough is thin enough to pinch it off. Discard the dough & you're left with a round dough.
All mooncakes are available at #FengShuiInn (Crockfords Tower, level G2) from 16 August to 19 September 2013. Check out some other Resorts World Sentosa Mooncakes selections below:
Order yours now @ +65 6577 6688, or email: email@example.com! Thank you #ResortsWorldSentosa, for the fun & enjoyable workshop! Special thanks to Juan for being the awesome photographer, & Chef Li & his assistance for their patience!