I grew up eating these braised pork bellies in dark soya sauce; any Chinese family who has tasted these pork bellies simply swear by them. Of course, each family has their own way of cooking it – there’s the Hokkien version, and the Cantonese etc.
It’s not difficult cooking this dish. You’ll just need to fry some of the stuff in the wok, then transfer to a slow cooker and leave it to simmer. I usually put lots of ingredients, so this one-pot dish can last me two days.
(Makes 1 Slow Cooker Pot)
3 Slabs of Pork Bellies
3 pkt of Quail Eggs
20 Chinese Mushrooms (soaked)
1 can of Button Mushrooms
2 pkt of Taupok or Tofu Cubes
2 pkt of Taukee
10 cloves of Garlic
1 piece of Rock sugar (med-size)
1 litre Water
1 tbsp Cooking oil
½ cup of Dark Soya sauce
2 tsp Light Soya sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
3 tbsp Sesame oil
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbsp Dark Soya sauce
Pinch of Cornflour
Dash of salt and pepper
Marinate for Mushrooms:
2 tsp Oyster sauce
2 tsp Sesame oil
- Boil quail eggs. When cool, peel and set aside.
- Heat oil and fry the taupok. Do the same for taukee. Set aside.
- Peel and lightly smash garlic. Heat oil and sautéed garlic. Add mushrooms and cook till fragrant. Dish onto plate and set aside.
- Marinate pork bellies overnight if possible. Pan fry pork together with rock sugar to seal in the juices as well as to give it a nice glaze. Throw in the mushrooms and garlic. Add water and seasonings. Simmer for about 10 mins.
- Throw in taupok and taukee. Mix well and cook till soft.
- Transfer the mixture into a slower cooker to cook at high heat for 30 mins, then put it on auto for 2 - 3hrs. *For better taste, make sure the pork bellies are on the top layer so the juices from the meat will "flow" down.
- Just before serving, scoop up some of the taupok mixture onto a claypot and add eggs and button mushrooms. Mix well.
- Cut pork bellies into slices and place on top of claypot. Arrange abalones neatly on top, cover and simmer for 30 mins or more. Timing depending on preference in #abalone texture.
- Viola! Serve your mouth-watering Braised Pork Bellies With Abalone In Claypot ( 砂鍋卤肉鲍鱼 ) piping hot!