Makes 8 rolls
2 cups of diced mixed tropical fruits such as jackfruit, mango, longan, rambutan & pineapple
3 tbsp of chopped fresh mint
⅓ cup of palm sugar
1 tbsp of white sesame seeds
½ tsp of ground five-spice powder
8 lumpia wrappers or spring roll wrappers
Cooking oil for deep frying
- Combine the fruit, mint, palm sugar, sesame seeds & five-spice powder together in a bowl.
- Place a wrapper on the work surface with one corner facing you.
- Place ¼ cup of the fruit mixture across the wrapper, slightly above the corner.
- Fold the corner, then roll over once.
- Fold in the left & right sides of the wrapper.
- Brush edges with water & roll up completely to enclose the filling.
- Pour oil into the wok to a depth of 2 inches, & heat over medium-high heat until the oil becomes hot but not smoking.
- Deep-fry a few rolls at a time, turning them occasionally.
- Deep-fry the rolls till they turn golden brown. Remove & drain on paper towels.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
My Evening With Celebrity Chef Bob Blumer three years ago!