Abundance of Joy Abalone (金鲍满屋) last Chinese New Year.
1 can of Abalone
1 pkt Spinach
1 tsp Wolfberries
1 tsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Chinese wine
½ tsp Sesame oil
2 tsp Cooking oil
1 tbsp Cornstarch
Pinch of salt
- Wash vegetables thoroughly. Pick out few stalks of spinach & set aside for presentation. Cut up the rest.
- Boil unopened can of Abalone for 30 min – 2hrs in hot water. 30 min is sufficient but if you want the Abalone stock to be really rich & fragrant, leave it to boil for 2hrs if you've time. Cool before opening the can.
- Cut abalone into slices.
- Heat abalone stock. Rinse wolfberries & add into stock. Cook till soft. Drain & set aside.
- Throw in stalks of spinach for presentation use. Cook for couple of mins. Drain & set aside. Add in the rest of the vegetables & mix well. Cover & simmer. Spinach is ready when steam emits from the lid. Drain & put on serving plate. Top with abalone slices, leaving some to make the flower.
- On another plate, start decorating your stalk of flower.
- Heat stock & add cornstarch when boiling. Drizzle the sauce onto the 2 plates of abalone & kill two birds with one stone!
So much for my recipe. Now, here are some reasons why mums are so great (answers given by 2nd-year school children). Have a good laugh!
Why did God make mothers?
- She's the only one who knows where the sticky-tape is.
- Mostly to clean the house.
- To help us out of there when we were getting born.
Who's the boss in your house?
- Mum doesn't want to be boss, but she has to because dad's such an idiot.
- Mum. You can tell by room inspection. She sees the stuff under the bed.
- I guess mum is, but only because she has a lot more to do than dad.
What's the difference between mums & dads?
- Mum knows how to talk to teachers without scaring them.
- Dads are taller & stronger, but mums have all the real power 'cause that's who you gotta ask if you wanna sleep over at your friend's place.
- Mums have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.
If you could change one thing about your mum, what would it be?
- She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I'd get rid of that.
- I'd make my mum smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it & not me.
- I would like to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.