I wanted to use Strawberries for the tail and fins, and Mango for salad but had to do a 180 deg change at the eleventh hour when I couldn’t find any of these 2 ingredients in the supermart.
My mind had to work fast on the spot as I’d to prepare 7 dishes for the evening all by myself. So I replaced with Green Apple for the salad, Smoked Salmon for fins and Jelly Fish for the tail.
This recipe, together with my 2 other CNY recipes, has been featured @ OMY-食天堂Eat!
I’d fun decorating the fish, seeking opinion from my hubby on and off, on the manner the fish looks etc. I was ready to present this appetizer for our reunion dinner once he gave the final approval :)
800g medium Prawns
1 Green apple
1 can of Tuna flakes
3 slices Smoked salmon (fins, mouth)
Few strands of Jelly fish (tail)
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tsp Parsley flakes
2 Raisins (eyes)
1 Dried Cherry (mouth)
Grounded black pepper
Lettuce for decoration
- Shell and devein prawns. Rinse. Blanch prawns in boiling water. Remove immediately when prawns turn pink and transfer to cold water to top cooking process.
- Half the prawns and set aside.
- Remove apple skin. Cut into cubes and put in salt water to prevent it from turning brown. Mix tuna with apples, mayo, parsley and pepper.
- Begin moulding the shape of the fish by using the tuna mixture. To make "scales", layer the prawns according to pix below.
- When shape is formed, use mayo to make patterns on the body. Finally, cut the 2 slices of smoked salmon into the shape of fins; roll 1 slice to form the mouth. Cut cherry into tiny bites and add 1 to the center of the mouth. Decorate tail with Jelly Fish and you’ll get your creative dish for the festive mood!
Have you participated in my Giveaway? Luxury Haven is giving away a classy Cookpot this Chinese New Year! Go to Supor Fortune Cookware Giveaway to join now and Good Luck! Spread the festive cheer to your friends and let them WIN! Huat Ah!!