Sea salt blood pressure - It’s commonly known that eating too much salt can cause high blood pressure. The regular table salt that people use in their cooking does not dissolve in the body & over time, begins to block arteries etc, causing serious harm to our bodies. The sea salt will flow through your body & do more good than harm. So try to use sea salt for all your food preparation to enrich the flavour of your food while adding vital nutrients to your diet.
The other key ingredient here is Chinese Dried Shrimps. I love the unique fragrant flavour, which is very different from fresh shrimps & I like using them in my dishes. The shrimp need to be reconstituted in warm water before being used. In turn, this water is sometimes added to the dish for flavour.
For this home-made Glutinous Rice, I’ve used 2 different types of dried shrimps. Unfortunately, I don’t have the names for the classes of shrimps. The slightly bigger ones in the picture are for mixing into the rice & the tiny, weenie ones for topping, replacing the usual shallots.
300g Glutinous rice
50g Dried shrimps (Hebe)
20g Dried shrimps (tiny ones)
1 Chinese sausage
15 pieces of big Chinese mushrooms
¼ cup of peanuts
2 stalks of spring onion
1 tbsp black sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce
½ tsp Sea salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
- Soak rice in water for an hour. Soak Hebe & mushroom in warm water till soft. Remove stalk from mushroom & dice into cubes.
- Peel off outer layer & dice sausage (optional). Most people skip this step but I don’t like the taste & texture of it, so I’d always take it off.
- Heat wok & fry mushroom, sausage, peanuts & hebe till fragrant.
- Drain rice & add to mixture. Fry for about 2mins. Add seasonings & stir well.
- Transfer into steaming bowl/mould & add water. Stir lightly & steam for about 20mins. Meanwhile, chop up spring onions & chilli & set aside.
- Heat wok & fry the tiny shrimps till crispy. Be careful not to burn the
shrimps. Remove & leave to cool.
- When rice is ready, transfer to serving plate. Leave to cool. Sprinkle spring onion, chilli & top with crispy shrimps.