The tray of mussels I bought today was just S$1 for 500g. There were about 18 pieces. Wow! Of course, I've no doubt the quality difference but at just a dollar for some fresh mussels, it's good enough. After all, I'm gonna deep-fry them anyway.
To enhance the taste, I marinated the mussels with mayonnaise, coated them with breadcrumbs, then deep-fried. It didn't turn out too well, there wasn't enough crunch. Unsatisfied, I took a couple more marinated ones, rolled them in crumbs, dipped into beaten egg, coated with breadcrumbs again, then deep-fried.
The result: Perfect! Love it & my hubby gave it a 5/5 rating! Try it & give me your ratings......
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp salt for mussels
1 lemon wedge
- Throw away any mussels that have broken shells. If shells are opened, tap on them. If it’s alive, it’ll close else discard.
- Ligthly blanch mussels with salt water to open & purging them of sand. Clean & debeard shells, open them up & detach mussels.
- Rinse the mussels & drain. Mixed mussels with mayonnaise.
- Add pepper to breadcrumbs.
- Roll mussels in breadcrumbs, dip into beaten egg & coat with crumbs again.
- Deep-fry till golden brown. Squeeze lemon wedge just before serving...... and here's your tray of S$1 mussels.