So I let my imagination go wild, adding lots of colours & combining Jonathan’s favourite sushi ingredients to satisfy both his sight & appetite. (I'm so happy that my Sushi "Birthday Cake" has emerged as one of the 5 top spots in a recent Foodies contest & has been featured as their Recipe of the Day as "amazingly innovative Sushi BirthDay Cake"!).
To make Sushi Rice:
1 cup Rice
1 cup water
Tezu: 1 tbsp of Mitsukan rice vinegar, ½ tsp of sugar & pinch of salt
1 slice of Unagi (eel)
1 slice of smoked salmon
1 slice of omelette
1 slice of seaweed
1 piece of crabmeat (chopped & mixed with mayonnaise & spring onion)
2 tbsp of canned tuna
1 tbsp Ebiko (roe)
- Your first step is to prepare your vinegar-water solution by mixing all Tezu ingredients in a small sauce pan. Dissolve over medium heat but don’t allow mixture to boil. Leave to cool.
- Wash rice several times till water runs clear. Let your rice strain for 30 minutes & transfer the rice to cooker or steamer. Add the measured water to cook.
- Sprinkle vinegar mixture evenly over cooked rice while it’s hot & fold it with spatula. Do not stir as this will break the grains. Allow rice to cool.
- Spread bamboo mat on a flat surface & put a sheet of nori (seaweed) on top of it.
- Wet hands & place a small handful of sushi rice on top of seaweed & spread it out in a diagonal line. Add your favourite fillings & roll up the bamboo mat, pressing forward to shape the sushi. Remove the bamboo mat & cut evenly.
- As I’m making a letter ‘J’, I’ve repeated step 5 but this time, without nori, to mould into the bottom part of the alphabet.
- Joined the 2 sushi rolls to form full letter & add ingredients to decorate according to your liking. Don't worry if the shape doesn't look as nice. The ingredients will cover the flaws later.
- Transfer onto serving plate & sprinkle Furikake (dry Japanese condiment, usually sprinkled on rice). You may wanna transfer the alphabet before you form the letter if you're afraid to lose the shape.
- Add the candle etc & there you go - your very own Sushi Birthday Cake!