You’ve heard of steaming, frying, simmering…….. but what is smoking? Smoking is the process of flavouring, cooking or preserving food by exposing it to the smoke from burning or smouldering plant materials.
I’m gonna introduce you to this simple, yet delicious dish for your Valentine’s Day dinner at home. It’s called the Tea-Smoked Chicken. This Chinese/English tea-smoking method uses a mixture of uncooked rice, sugar and tea, heated at the base of a wok. It is a very nutritious, completely oil-free meal & you can smell the fragrance coming from the tea leaves during its process.
I whole chicken or chicken parts
5 sachets of brown sugar
5 sachets of Chinese or English black tea
Brown or Jasmine rice
- Marinate chicken with salt, pepper and wine for at least an hour.
- Line the wok with foil & add sugar, rice & tea.
- Crush garlic cloves & scallion & put them into the wok.
- Insert a rack & put the chicken on top of it. Close the lid & heat the wok on high fire.
- Smoke the chicken till brown (about 15mins). Base ingredients on the foil will turn black. Turn over the chicken & smoke for another 15mins. (Time varies according to size of chicken).
- Allow it to cool & serve with broccoli & whipped potato. So here’s your delicious & aromatic #TeaSmokedChicken!
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!